As I continue to go down my health journey, I’ve found that the weeks I plan my meals in advance are when I’m most compliant with my “diet”. I use the term “diet” loosely, as I know that any best health plan is a lifestyle not a diet. I like to plan in advance the types of foods I want for my 3 main meals and also pick a couple go-to snack items. The weeks that I not only PLAN, but PREPARE and cook & portion out the food for the week are my best weeks. Who else starts their week with the best of intentions and come about Tuesday after work you’re already exhausted, irritated & ready for a cookie or pizza? It’s so much easier to make the healthy choice when it’s also the easy choice. Hopefully so of the meals & snacks I have planned for this week are also recipes & ideas you can use as well!
- noosa coconut yoghurt + blueberries – this comes in an 8oz container so I usually eat it in 2 portions.
- toast w/ avocado & egg or peanut butter, banana & honey – this is easy & filling!
- overnight oats (1 cup oatmeal, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp. chocolate chips, 1 tbsp shredded coconut)
- Quinoa power bowl – 1c quinoa, 1/4 c black beans, 1 c roasted vegetables (try beets & sweet potatoes!), chicken (optional) & vinaigrette
- Greek Salad – traditional toppings of kalamata olives, cucumber, tomato, red bell pepper, feta cheese (optional) and mint on either a bed of quinoa or mixed greens! Opt for traditional Greek dressing OR drizzle with apple cider vinegar & lemon vinaigrette
- Bento Box – small portions of cheese, meat & crackers, cherries, & tomatoes – more “bento box” lunch ideas here
- Chicken lettuce wraps (I cheat and use the Tyson grilled & ready kind!) – the key is to use peanut dipping sauce!!
- Homemade naan pizza – crowd pleaser (even Aidan loves it) & you can make your own so choose to be as healthy/unhealthy as you’d like!
For most of the week, we will have Blue Apron provided dinners. I was luckily gifted a free week of Blue Apron meals, and while my review for them could (and maybe will) warrant its own blog post, I liked it enough to try it again on my own dime. It covers 3 meals for the week (sometimes you can even squeeze a next-day lunch in there!). This week’s menu is:
- Ribeye Steak & Spicy Vegetable Hash
- Spicy Pan Fried Chicken
- Saffron & Tomato Bucatini Pasta
- 1/4 c trail mix
- Boom Chicka Pop Sweet & Salty kettle corn (1-2 cups)
- Homemade ranch dip (1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix & 8oz of Greek yogurt) w/ vegetables
- Hummus & carrots
- Apple w/ almond butter
What are your go-to snacks to get you through a busy week?